We live under a glass ceiling
We know that there are three levels below us: Matter - Plants and animals. We don't talk about what is above us because we are not sure. Search "Angels" and you will discover a completely new world made of many more levels. You will get the impression that we are on the 4th step of a very high staircase.
In those circumstances, we can say that it would not be unreasonable to assume that there is at least one level above us.
What could this level be made of? What is preventing us to climb one more step? We can make two extrapolations.
First extrapolation: We move from one step to the step above by adding something important.
- To move from matter to plants we must add the ability to grow, to take a certain shape, to make seeds and to reproduce.
- To move from plants to animals we must add the ability to move. That may require a brain, muscles, nerves and a skeleton.
- To move from animals to humans we must add thinking.
- To move from humans to the level above us we would need to add something better than thinking - Something that we don't have!
Second extrapolation: To understand one level, we need access to the level above it.
- How can you explain that the water in the ground can overcome gravity, raise up in the air and take a certain shape? You need access to the level of the plants to understand the level of matter.
- 80% of our food relies on pollination. To understand the level of the plants you need access to the level of animals.
- The cow does not know what happened before her birth and what will happen after here death. The farmer does. To understand the level of animals you need access to the level above them.
- To understand the human level we would need access to the level above us.
That would require something better than thinking
Something that we don't have.
This is our glass ceiling.
What could the level 5 be made of? The candidates are energy, consciousness, wisdom, love.... and many more. I would vote for consciousness. Love also is a serious candidate. I would place it on a level still above consciousness.
You will notice that every level percolates to the levels below it. Animals can do some thinking. Plants can move from one country to another. Chances are that we have some of what the level above us is made of. Our limited consciousness could be a clue.